Stocksbridge Primitive Methodist chapel
634 Manchester Rd, Stocksbridge, Sheffield S36 1DY
The foundation stone laying celebrations for Stocksbridge Primitive Methodist chapel and schoolroom in the Sheffield Second circuit are described in the 1866 Primitive Methodist magazine by J Wenn. The ceremony took place on December 2nd 1865 and the stone was laid by GH Benson Esq.
After the stone was laid, there was a “plentiful tea” in the store belonging to the co-operative society. Speakers in cluded Revs J Wenn, C Lace and R Bryant and Messrs F Hill, GH Benson, John Manterfield and R Holden.
The 1893 Ordnance Survey map shows a Primitive Methodist chapel on the north side of Manchester Road, on the corner with Park Drive Way. Is that the same building? The chapel was known as West End.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1866 page 180-181