Witney Primitive Methodist chapel

Photo:Witney 1869 Primitive Methodist chapel

Witney 1869 Primitive Methodist chapel

Christopher Hill July 2017

location of former Witney Primitive Methodist chapel

40 Corn St, Witney OX28 6BS

By Christopher Hill

Corn Street chapel in 2017 is in commercial use although it is very recognisably still a chapel.

The chapel was built in 1845. In 1869 a new chapel with 300 sittings was built in front of its predecessor on the site of the minister's house, the old buildings being converted into a school room and vestry.

The chapel closed in 1957.

There is a good account of the development of Primitive Methodism in Witney in the Victoria County History, accessed through British History online; click here.

"That the group was based on Corn Street, a predominantly working-class area of mill workers, labourers, and small craftsmen, is probably not coincidental: in the 1860s the rector commented that the Primitives were doing 'good among the lower classes', though by the mid 19th century leading members also included small tradesmen and shopkeepers, among them grocers and butchers, a seedsman and florist, a fellmonger, and a wheelwright. "


 

Reference

Victoria County History, accessed 27th September 2017, through British History online at http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/oxon/vol14/pp145-154#h3-0006

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 27/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.