Swinbrook Primitive Methodist chapel
The opening of Swinbrook Primitive Methodist chapel is described in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1861.
“Swinbrook, Witney Circuit.—Swinbrook is a small village about six miles from Witney, and was visited by the Primitive Methodist preachers in the summer of 1852. Through the blessing of God on the word preached, sinners were awakened and saved, a society was raised and a cottage obtained, in which the services have been held to the present time. Through perseverance, land was procured on which a neat little chapel has been erected, at a cost of about £90. The size is 20 feet by 16 feet in the clear ; it is 13 feet from the floor to the wall plate, is built of stone and covered with blue slate, there are two windows in front and one on the side. It has a boarded floor, and is fitted up with a rostrum, &c. ; the present sittings will accommodate about 85 persons. The opening services were held on Sunday, September 30th, 1860. Mrs. E. Jack son, of Witney, preached in the afternoon and evening, and on Monday a tea-meeting was held, after which addresses were delivered by Messrs. Jackson, Maisey, Price, Mills and Mrs. Jackson. The proceeds of the opening amounted to £6 12s. The golden system was introduced, and £6 9s. were promised for the first anniversary.”
The chapel was in a remote location, some way north of the village. The building is still marked as a church on Ordnance Survey maps of 1978 but Google Street View from 2009 onward shows it in use as a house. It retains its 1860 datestone.
Primitive Methodist magazine January 1861 page 44