Gallowstree Common Primitive Methodist chapel
Horsepond Road Gallowstree Common READING RG4 9BX
The 1878 Primitive Methodist magazine tells us they were working on a new Primitive Methodist chapel at Gallows Tree Common (“an ominous name”) . The new chapel would be small but neat, to accommodate around 100 and cost around £240, of which they were resolved to raise half.
Gallowstree Common Primitive Methodist chapel was opened in 1880 and closed in 1987. It accommodated 50 people and by the time of Keith Guyler’s photograph was for sale.
On Google Street View in May 2011 it was in use as a house.
The chapel was also known as Chiltern Edge
Primitive Methodist magazine 1878 page 571