In the 1849 Primitive Methodist magazine (page 752) G Wallis tells us about the opening of Enelme Primitive Methodist chapel – a misprint for Ewelme. It was in the Wallingford circuit.
The village had been missioned 14 years previously and despite opposition expressed through ring of bells, blowing of horns and other ways, a chapel was acquired the following year. It became too small for the growing society and on September 2nd 1849 a new chapel was opened; J Mules of Southam was the preacher. Because it was harvest, the celebration tea for 70 people was postponed until October 22nd when D Tengo was the speaker.
Made of brick, it measured 16.5′ x 24′ and cost around £88.
A Primitive Methodist chapel is shown on Ordnance Survey maps of 1897 and 1910.
The former Wesleyan chapel is in April 2011 Ewelme Store