Wootton Primitive Methodist chapel

location of former Wootton Primitive Methodist chapel

By Christopher Hill

Wootton Primitive Methodist chapel opened in 1858. Wootton was first missioned in March 1827, but a chapel was not built until 1858 on land formerly occupied by Mr Duffield's cottage.

The new chapel measured 20' x 16' x 15' high, was built of brick and stone. The total cost was around £120 of which they had raised £40, as required by the rules.

The opening services and tea meeting started on December 5th 1858. Preachers were Mr J Russell of Cheltenham, Mrs Jackson of Witney and the circuit ministers.

The occasion, and the background to it, are described in the Primitive Methodist magazine by T Jackson.

The Primitive Methodist chapel in Wootton (assuming we are dealing with the same Wootton - there are quite a few) is shown on the corner of Church Street and Castle Road on the 1898 Ordnance Survey  1:2,500 map, but by 1922 it is no longer labelled. On Google StreetView in 2011 there is a modern house in its place, although occupying the same footprint.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine March 1859 page 169-170

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 17/09/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.