The Ramsgate Mission began in 1841, and three chapels were recorded in the History, gazetter and directory of the county of Kent in 1847: Ramsgate, Margate and Birchington (now part of Margate, but then a small village).
The first meeting place is recorded as being in the Street, Birchington in 1851. Arthur Wells, the Steward, reported that 18 had been present at the afternoon service on 31st March, and 36 in the evening. They were probably meeting in his home, because no Primitive Methodist chapel was recorded as being registered in 1867 and the first chapel is reported to have been built in 1876. The building was sold in 1898, and that was the end of Primitive Methodism in the village. There is a photograph of the chapel, and a short account of its history here