Bradford Central Hall Primitive Methodist Mission

Photo:Bradford Central Mission

Bradford Central Mission

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1930; Englesea Brook Museum

Photo:Bradford Central Hall Mission Santa Claus Mission

Bradford Central Hall Mission Santa Claus Mission

Handbook of the Primitive Methodist Conference 1930; Englesea Brook Museum

approximate location of Bradford Central Hall Primitive Methodist Mission

Manchester Road, Bradford BD1 5RW

By Christopher Hill

Central Hall Primitive Methodist Mission in Bradford was opened in on 31st August in 1892. It replaced Old Providence chapel which was also located in Kent Street.

Methodist Central Halls were a response to the needs of inner city areas. As part of the mission, they were in part intended to keep locals out of pubs by providing entertainment such as concerts and films. As well as large halls and meeting rooms, they often incorporated other elements such as shops which had the benefit of producing an income.  

The Methodist Leader for December 9th 1920 describes Band Sunday at Bradford Central Hall.

Hundreds of people had to be turned away from the Central Hall, Bradford, on Sunday, the occasion being the first annual band-day. The hall was packed in every part, the largest crowd ever seen in the hall. Four bands processioned along different routes to the hall, and then gave a musical programme indoors.

The chairman—an old bandsman—related how in a certain band one man played quicker than the others, and when he discovered that he had finished first, he threw up his hands and shouted "Hallelujah, I've beat you all ! In an appropriate address by another bandsman, we were told of a quack dentist who used to announce "painless extractions"; but he always had a band playing during the operation so that bystanders could not hear any stray moans or cries.

The value of bands at school festivals was emphasised. A great mass meeting was held at 8 p.m. on "Prohibition and Canada." Rev. S. Rowley presided.

Bradford Central Hall was located where the current Jacob's Well Council Offices are.  It was on the edge of the town centre just south of the junction of Manchester Road with Hall Ings between what was then Kent Street and Clarence Street.  The church is still on the Ordnance Survey map of 1958 but whole area has been redeveloped since.

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 08/03/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.