Broomfleet Primitive Methodist Chapel, Yorkshire

Broomfleet is situated four miles south-west of Cave on the banks of the River Humber.

East Riding of Yorkshire Archives, Beverley has the following information about this chapel.

Ref. EMG/180: The Primitive Methodist chapel was built in 1861 and sold in 1936.

Ref. EMG/180/5: Charity Commission: Order for appointments of Trustees for charity Broomfleet Primitive Methodist Chapel and papers, 13th Dec., 1904.

Ref. EMG/180/2: Certificate of place of worship, Primitive Methodist Jubilee Chapel, Broomfleet, 19th April, 1862.

See also further information on this page - http://d35wuyehavsdko.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/cms/e/E_Riding_PM_chapels_date_recorded1.pdf

Genuki has the following information from Bulmer’s History and Directory of East Yorkshire (1892):- “(The Primitive Methodist Chapel) was built in 1861, at a cost of £136, and will seat 80 persons.”

The North Cave Circuit Plan, 1904, identifies that there was also a Primitive Methodist place of worship at Broomfleet Landing.

Comments about this page

  • From the Primitive Methodist magazine, December 1861 page 743:-

    BROOMFLEET, NORTH CAVE Circuit. —

    Primitive Methodism was introduced into this place eleven years ago, by our esteemed Brother, George Rudd, who went
    to reside there. He opened his door for the preachers and preaching, and the services have been conducted iu his barn or kitchen up to April last. When, he having to remove, the society was left without a suitable place in which to worship. Two generous friends gave a piece of land on which to build a chapel. The foundation stone was laid on May 2’Jth, 1861, by Miss M. J. Hodge, of Hull, in the presence of a large concourse of people.

    At the opening on Sunday, July 28th, the Rev. H. Woodcock preached two sermons to attentive and overflowing congregations. On Monday evening a public meeting was held, Mr. R. Middlebrook, farmer, in the chair. The collections, &c, amounted to £37 13s. A very gracious heavenly influence pervaded the meetings. We hope that this neat little chapel will be the birth-place of many souls. Our little sanctuary has cost upwards of £120, towards which the sum of £83 16s. o|d. has been raised, including a donation by Miss Hodge f £16. To God be the praise and glory. Amen.

    Joseph Gibson.”

    By Christopher Hill (13/04/2018)
  • Although the chapel, on Main Street, just east of Little Lane is no longer labelled on Ordnance Survey maps from 1969, on Google Street View in 2011 it is in use as a garage. A round headed window, albeit filled in, gives it away.

    By Christopher Hill (13/04/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone