Burstwick Primitive Methodist Chapel, Yorkshire

East Riding of Yorkshire Archives, Beverley, has the following information about this chapel.

Ref. MRW/4/1-4: Burstwick Primitive Methodist Chapel, built 1826, rebuilt 1848, closed 1898 and the current Chapel was built that year, sold in 2011. Document amongst this reference.

Ref. MRW is for the Withernsea (Patrington) Methodist Circuit. They include Records for the former Patrington Primitive Methodist Circuit, to include Burstwick.

Ref. QDR/3/3:Registration of the Primitive Methodist Church/Chapel at Burstwick., 6th Jan., 1881.

Follow these link to view a picture of the church on Geograph and Genuki.

See also further information on this page – http://d35wuyehavsdko.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/cms/e/E_Riding_PM_chapels_date_recorded1.pdf

Paul Glazzard on https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Methodist_Church_Burstwick_1.jpg reports: “Primitive Methodist Church at the junction of Station Road and Back Lane, Burstwick. Until recently the church had a spire but this was taken down in December 2007, presumably before it fell down. The wooden framework of the bell tower had been looking a bit tatty for some time, causing the slate roofed spire to lean ever so slightly out over the road.”

Comments about this page

  • The Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1848 (page 504) contains an account by John Harvey of the opening of Burstwick Primitive Methodist chapel on April 21st 1848.

    By Christopher Hill (07/05/2019)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *