St Day, Scorrier Street

formerly in the Redruth Circuit

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'St Day, Scorrier Street' page

Janet Bastion

(added CH Jan 2018)

O Pullen writes about the opening of St Day Primitive Methodist chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine of 1860.

"The re-opening services of our chapel at St. Day were held January 8th  and 10th , 1860 : on the former day the Rev. R. Killingrey preached morning and afternoon, and the writer in the evening ; on the latter day the writer preached in the morning, and the Rev. G. Johnson afternoon and evening. On Wednesday, January 18th , a tea-meeting, gratuitously provided, was held in the chapel ; after tea, the public meeting was presided over by Mr. R. Tolley, and addresses were delivered by Messrs. H. Worth, S. Kelley, and 0. Pullen. A blessed influence attended the whole of these services, and considering the unfavourableness of the weather, the congregations have been good, and the collections liberal. The chapel has been lengthened 17 feet, a lobby erected, four additional windows put in, and a centre piece, six feet in diameter ; it will seat about 340, being additional accommodation for 100 hearers. The whole of the cost will be about £130, towards which we shall perhaps obtain £50 by opening services, subscriptions, and donations. We tender our thanks to all who have assisted us in any way. Our prayer is that God may pour out His Spirit on us, and that the chapel may become the birth place of many souls. "


Primitive Methodist magazine March 1860 page 175


This page was added by Jill Barber on 01/05/2013.
Comments about this page

A description of the chapel opening has been added to the page.

By Christopher Hill
On 09/01/2018

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.