Higher Carnkie PM Chapel, Cornwall

formerly in the Redruth Circuit, now a private house

Janet Bastion
Carnkie: return from the Primitive Methodist chapel to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship. Return no: 310 3 1 5
transcribed by David Tonks 2021

The  return from the Primitive Methodist society in Carnkie in Illogan parish to the 1851 Census of Places of Public Religious worship was completed by John Sharpe, the Primitive Methodist minister of Chasewater New Town. It gives details of attendance and capacity.  On Census Sunday, 47 attended the morning service and 70 the evening one.  There was no Sunday school.

The Return uses the name Carnkie rather than Higher Carnkie.   However, it dates the erection of the chapel as 1830.  Jo Lewis confirms that  there is a Kresen kernow document relating to the balance of a loan being paid by the Prims in March 1830 which would confirm the 1830 date in the census as a start date for the chapel

Comments about this page

  • Taking the road opposite the Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, ascending up the hill, the old Primitive Methodist chapel is on the curve on the left, set slightly back with a sign across the door helpfully directing us to the ‘the old methodist chapel’. Built in 1832, at a cost of £66 and seating 106 persons. The land it was built on was leased for 99 years. It also had a Sunday school behind it (built in 1903). The chapel became Higher Carnkie Methodist Church in 1932. It was part of Redruth Primitive Methodist Circuit until 1932, then part of Redruth Plain-an-Gwarry Methodist Circuit. In 1982 the vestry was extended before the chapel closed in 1990 and sold. It is now private housing that has also been used as a holiday home




    By Jo Faux (20/03/2021)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.