Brinklow Primitive Methodist chapel

location of Brinklow Primitive Methodist chapel

Broad St, Brinklow CV23 0LN

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of February 1853 contains an account by Thomas Worrill of the opening of Brinklow Primitive Methodist chapel in the Rugby mission of the Leicester circuit.

A society in the village of around 500-600 people had been established previously and in the spring of 1852 D Watts and D Harris bought a house and garden in the village at auction for £130. A chapel 25' x 18' was erected in one end of the garden, built of red brick, with a slate roof and a red deal floor. The entire cost was £240 although the house brought in £7/10/0 each year.

At the opening (no date given) sermons were preached by W Watts, W Richardson and W Price.

The chapel is marked on the 1887 1:2,500 Ordnance Survey map but not on later ones.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine February 1853 pp.122-123

 

This page was added by Christopher Hill on 16/02/2017.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.