Bedworth Heath Primitive Methodist chapel
Thanks to Anne Langley for the following information:
Bedworth Heath A Primitive Methodist Chapel was built in 1833 on Goodyers End Lane (opposite the entrance to Topps Drive) in Bedworth Little Heath. It appears in the 1851 religious census: there were sittings for 140 people; 120 adults attended the evening service on census day and 50 children the Sunday School. The Minister was James Prosser (a superintendent minister living in Harnall Terrace, Coventry, who was the sub-treasurer for the Missionary Committee).
In 1852 they were holding afternoon and evening services on Sundays plus an evening one on Mondays. They were to have Missionary and Protracted Meetings and a Watch Night service on December 31st; B. Pratt was the Society Steward.
In 1854 they were holding a camp meeting and a love feast. It was part of the Coventry circuit. The chapel appears in some trade directories (White, 1850 & 1874) and on the 1st edition OS 25” map (1880s). The building is still there on OS 2nd edition maps (1900s) – though possibly not in use – but had been demolished by the 1950s; by then it had been replaced by a new Methodist Chapel nearby (at the opposite end of Topps Drive) that has itself since been demolished.
religious census HO 129.3184.108.40.206;
PM Preachers’ Plan Coventry Circuit 1852-3;
trade directories and OS maps;
Coventry Archives: 628/8/2/2,
site visit 2019.