Stroud Primitive Methodist chapel

former location of Stroud Primitive Methodist chapel

Parliament Street, GL5 1LW

By Christopher Hill

The Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1851 contains an account by C.T. Harris of the re-opening of Stroud Primitive Methodist chapel on 27th July 1851. Mr Harris had been important in triggering the rebuilding to meet the needs of a growing congregation at evening services in the 1836 chapel. 

Named preachers at the re-opening services and tea meetings were Rev T Hobson (Bath), B Parsons (Ebley), Joseph Partridge, T. Thoday, T. Parsons, W. Marling.

The alterations were primarily the addition of a gallery with cast iron pillars "upon a new principle, combining ... ease and strength with the utmost economy."  The wood "is stained and varnished and has a very chaste appearance."  It accommodated 100 extra people.

Work was done by Mr English. Practical donations were given by Joseph Webb, Mr Ayers, Mr Watts, Mr Chuckley, Mr Bird. Fund raising was so successful they were contemplating building a Sunday School.  It was built the following year.  

After the Methodists vacated the building it was bought by Stroud Urban District Council and was licensed for music and dancing and at some stage it was the HQ of The Stroud Boys Club.  It has been substantially altered and is now the theatre home of the Cotswold Players.  The school room is now the theatre's Green Room.


Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1851 pp. 560-561


This page was added by Christopher Hill on 29/08/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.