Bristol Bourne Primitive Methodist chapel

Staple Hill

1929 celebration medal from Staple Hill Primitive Methodist Sunday School.
medal donated by Martin Bower

Martin Bower has donated the medal in the picture to the Englesea Brook Museum of Primitive Methodism.  It comes from Staple Hill chapel in Bristol.  Martin tells us:

The Bourne Primitive Methodist Chapel, Staple Hill, was opened in 1869 when the Sunday School also commenced. In 1929, diamond jubilee celebrations of the church took place commencing with a public tea on Saturday 23 November. On Sunday 24 November the morning and evening services were presided over by the Rev. T. Fletcher, a former minister and in the afternoon a special meeting was held when addresses were given by the Rev. T. Fletcher and the Rev. J. H. Briggs, the minister at the time. On the following day a meeting was held where representatives from the other circuit churches were present and which was also attended by the vicar of Christ Church Downend, the Rev. R. P. Long, who expressed his pleasure in being invited to participate in the celebrations.

The Staple Hill chapel closed in 1959.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.