Jack's Green Primitive Methodist chapel
Jack's Green Sheepscombe GL6 7RA
The chapel at Jack’s Green was built by the Baptists in 1820 and sold to the Primitive Methodists in 1831. It was rebuilt in 1863, accommodating 50. There is a small graveyard.
It is a grade 2 listed building, with the following description:
“PAINSWICK JACK’S GREEN, Sheepscombe SO 80 NE (north side) 5/137 Sheepscombe Methodist Chapel – II Baptist Chapel, later Primitive Methodist. 1820. Coursed and squared limestone, Welsh slate roof. Simple gabled building parallel to street, 2 pointed 2-light windows with hoods, wood casements to triangular heads, horizontal glazing bars. Central plank door in 4-centred stone arch with square hood, over inscription METHODIST CHAPEL; raised on four stone steps. Each gable end has one window, and the back has two, all as main front. To right, back, plank door in plain opening. Interior modified. Built in 1820 but sold to Methodists in 1831 on transfer of meeting to chapel in New Street (qv). (Stell, C; Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses; 1986).”
It is still in use.