Stanley End Primitive Methodist chapel
Selsley Hill, Stroud GL5 5JX
There’s an account of the opening of Stanley End Primitive MEthodist chapel in the 1864 Primitive Methodist magazine.
The Primitive Methodist chapel is labelled on Selsley Hill on the 1881-1885 release and later Ordnance Survey maps. On the 1936 Ordnance Survey map the building is labelled Methodist church. In 1968 map the building is still there, but unnamed. There is no sign of it on Street View in 2009 and 2019 – except that, unusually, one section of the roadside wall is built of old red brick rather than stone like all the rest. Was that the wall for the chapel ground?
This is the account:
“Chapel Opening at Stanley End, Stroud Station.—A neat little chapel was opened at the above place on Thursday, October 1st, 1803, when the Rev. E. Ball, of Bristol, preached two sermons, and on the Sabbath following three sermons were preached—those in the morning and evening by the Rev. P. Hull, and that in the afternoon by the Rev. C. P. Mager. The services were well attended, and a gracious influence was felt.
The chapel is 23ft. by 18ft., and 13ft. from the floor to the ceiling. It is fitted up with rail-back benches and forms, all free, which will seat 100 persons. The entire cost is about £100, towards which, with the opening services, tea-meeting, and donations, we have raised £70, and we are doing our best to get the chapel free from debt in a short time.
We have had a cause at Stanley End above thirty years, and a comfortable place in which to worship has long been much needed. Providence, however, opened the way, and a suitable site of land was obtained in the year 1861 by my predecessor, Rev. R. Tuffin, a trust was formed, and a Connexional deed was made and enrolled. The June quarterly meeting of 1803 gave sanction to commence building, as a gentleman had offered a donation of £20. We wish to express our gratitude to him, to C. H. Hooper, Esq , for a donation of £10, and to all who have in any way aided us in the erection of the above sanctuary. That it may in every sense answer the end for which it has been built, is the prayer of J. Hibbs.”
Primitive Methodist magazine 1864 page 51