Stroud Primitive Methodist chapel
Parliament Street, GL5 1LW
The Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1851 contains an account by C.T. Harris of the re-opening of Stroud Primitive Methodist chapel on 27th July 1851. Mr Harris had been important in triggering the rebuilding to meet the needs of a growing congregation at evening services in the 1836 chapel.
Named preachers at the re-opening services and tea meetings were Rev T Hobson (Bath), B Parsons (Ebley), Joseph Partridge, T. Thoday, T. Parsons, W. Marling.
The alterations were primarily the addition of a gallery with cast iron pillars “upon a new principle, combining … ease and strength with the utmost economy.” The wood “is stained and varnished and has a very chaste appearance.” It accommodated 100 extra people.
Work was done by Mr English. Practical donations were given by Joseph Webb, Mr Ayers, Mr Watts, Mr Chuckley, Mr Bird. Fund raising was so successful they were contemplating building a Sunday School. It was built the following year.
In late 1860 the chapel was “newly pewed and improved”. Robert Tuffin tells us that the preachers at the re-opening service on December 16th and subsequent tea meeting included Mrs. Firbank, Rev F. Overbury and Rev. H. Whitlock.
After the Methodists vacated the building it was bought by Stroud Urban District Council and was licensed for music and dancing and at some stage it was the HQ of The Stroud Boys Club. It has been substantially altered and is now the theatre home of the Cotswold Players. The school room is now the theatre’s Green Room.
Primitive Methodist magazine of September 1851 pp. 560-561
Primitive Methodist magazine April 1861 page 236