Cally Methodist

Caledonian Road

Cally Methodist
1970 Islington Caledonian Road Primitive Methodist chapel | Keith Guyler 1994
1970 Islington Caledonian Road Primitive Methodist chapel
Keith Guyler 1994

Caledonian Road Church, in the Islington & Camden Mission Circuit, present since 1870 near what was then the Metropolitan Cattle Market, even if “a shadow of its former self”, still has both morning and evening services, a keen and dedicated, if small, membership and tries to maintain a Methodist presence and witness in the area.

Comments about this page

  • T & W Stone were the architects

    By Colin Dews (28/02/2018)
  • Victoria County History, London, 1985 (accessed through British History Online on March 4th 2017  http://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp101-115#h3-0005) gives more detail.

    Prior to the building of the Caledonian Road chapel, the Primitive Methodists rented Market Street hall in Market Street, Caledonian Road from 1860, St. George’s hall, Richmond Road, 1863, then a hall in Hemingford Street.

    In 1903 the attendance was 95 in the morning and 251 in the evening. The chapel became Caledonian Road Methodist church in 1932 and was restored and reopened in 1953.  It seated 375 in 1955 and 250 in 1972. Funds were raised in 1980 to clean the exterior, revealing the fine Italianate building of buff and red brick.

    By Christopher Hill (04/03/2017)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone