“In Northwood Primitive Methodists met in a house called ‘Elthorne’ in the modern High Street from about 1896. In that year a school chapel to accommodate 250 people was built on the corner of High Street and Hallowell Road. The church next to the school chapel was completed in 1903. It was further extended in 1910, and a new vestry added in 1927. Enemy action caused considerable damage to the building in 1944. “
The 1896 Primitive Methodist magazine confirms the start. The first services were held in a cottage and within six months of establishing the Northwood mission in the Watford station, a new site was acquired and schoolroom and classrooms erected. There was enough room to build a chapel “when the time comes”.
On the site in 2008 is modern housing.
A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 145-146.
Primitive Methodist magazine December 1896 page 951