Plaistow Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel
a celebration tea, "such as would have done credit to either Lincolnshire or Yorkshire was gratuitously provided by poor but willing people"
The foundation stone for Plaistow Marsh Primitive Methodist chapel was laid on Monday October 11 1858 by Peter Dixon, a Wesleyan local preacher.
Plaistow was then a suburb of London near the New Victoria Docks with 10,000 people, church and chapel accommodation for only 600, “twenty two beer shops and eleven house licensed for the sale of ardent spirits, and as a consequence, intemperance, Sabbath desecration and vice of every kind abounds“
The Primitive Methodist society met for several years in a cottage before a plot of freehold land 30′ x 66′ was bought for a new chapel.
After the ceremony there was a celebration tea, “such as would have done credit to either Lincolnshire or Yorkshire was gratuitously provided by poor but willing people“
The day was used to raise money for the new chapel through collections, donations and money paid for the privilege of laying a brick using the trowel that had laid the foundation stone.
Preachers on the day were WJR Cordell, the circuit steward, Messrs Dixon (senior and junior), M Gleghorn, W Hall, E Tait and G Lamb, who described the day in the Primitive Methodist magazine.
In the March 1859 magazine, Mr Lamb describes the opening, which took place on December 12th 1858 and the following days. Preachers included W Harland, G Lamb, John & Peter Dixon (Wesleyans), M Gleghorn, WJ Cordell, Mr Crawford and Jacob Hall Nichols. The architect was Mr Hall and Mr Ennor the builder.
Raising the money did not turn out to be easy. “Members have really had to deny themselves to enable them to give to the extent they have done.” They did not get “much help from the respectable and wealthy“
Primitive Methodist magazine 1859 pp.44-45