The November 1888 Primitive Methodist magazine records the opening of an iron chapel in Southwold Road, Lower Clapton. It was part of the Clapton Mission.
“Very successful services have been held in a house in the locality for some time past, and a chapel had become a necessity. The building, which is an iron one, will cost about £163 and the whole sum will be contributed by those interested in the work done in this part of London”
Ordnance Survey maps show first (1893-4) a building marked ‘mission’ which becomes a larger chapel (1913) and later (1936/7) a Methodist church on Southwold Road, at its junction with Theydon Road. The area has since been redeveloped.
Primitive Methodist magazine November 1888 page 699