Enfield Primitive Methodist chapel

complete with brass band!

Enfield Primitive Methodist chapel
Christian Messenger 1903/273

The Christian Messenger of 1903 tells us a little of the origins of Enfield Primitive Methodist chapel:

In 1858 a small chapel was built on Chase Side, in which our people worshipped until, in 1894, the present chapel was erected. For many years the work in the old chapel had been stationary; the membership below 30, and quarterage not reaching £7. But with the building of the new chapel, and making Enfield the head of a new Circuit in 1901, the membership rose to 100, and the amount sent to the June quarterly meeting of 1902 was £31 16s. 11½d. The Primitive Methodist magazine of April 1893 reports that they had acquired a an excellent freehold site for “a more commodious place of worship”.

In addition to the usual institutions of a church, Enfield society possesses the rare equipment of a brass band. A great deal of the spiritual and financial success of the church is due to this mission band. Before every Sunday morning and evening service they mission the streets, and conduct open-air services. They have been in great demand for the United Free Church Council open-air meetings. They supply all their own leaders and speakers, and are not confined to merely playing the instruments.

One Sunday evening, as they were marching towards the chapel, the master of the Poor House stopped them, and asked if they could play “Safe in the arms of Jesus” for a poor dying woman. The secretary said, “I am sorry haven’t got the music for that, but, bless the Lord, we can sing, it‘! ” And at once the 25 or more masculine voices sent up through the open window the cheering strains of that grand old hymn.”

Where was this chapel and what happened to it?

Reference

Christian Messenger 1903/273

Primitive Methodist magazine April 1893 page 252

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *