The 1867 register of places of worship shows an active Primitive Methodist society in Highbury Vale, meeting in a rented building.
Elwood Street chapel, Highbury Vale, originated in a preaching place at 2 Park Place (later Conewood Street) registered in 1861, but possibly in use in 1859. In time they moved to Workman’s hall, a mission hall at the corner of Blackstock Rd. and Myrtle (later Hurlock) Street from around 1870.
In 1889 the memorial stones for a new chapel in Elwood Street were laid “to pursue evangelistic labour in a very needy locality.”
Attendance in 1903 was 45 in the morning and 42 in the evening. A new school was added in 1927. The chapel and school closed in 1951 when the site was sold to London County Council for flats.
Primitive Methodist magazine 1890 pages 58-59
Vicotia County History: Middlesex accessed through British History online at: https://www.british-history.ac.uk/vch/middx/vol8/pp101-115 on October 13th 2020.