Winterley Primitive Methodist Chapel Cheshire

Photo:Photo No. 1.

Photo No. 1.

This photo is by kind permission of the Society at Winterley Methodist Chapel and Cheshire South Circuit

Photo:Photo No. 2.

Photo No. 2.

Photo:Photo No. 3.

Photo No. 3.

Photo:Photo No. 4.

Photo No. 4.

Photo:Photo No.5. Interior view of Winterley Chapel in the early 1900s

Photo No.5. Interior view of Winterley Chapel in the early 1900s

This photo is by kind permission of the Society at Winterley Methodist Chapel

Photo:Photo No. 6

Photo No. 6

Photo:Photo No. 7. Sunday School photo taken in the late 1950s

Photo No. 7. Sunday School photo taken in the late 1950s

This photo is by kind permission of the Society at Winterley Methodist Chapel

Photo:Photo No. 8

Photo No. 8

Photo:Photo No. 9

Photo No. 9

Photo:Photo No. 10

Photo No. 10

Photo:Photo No. 11. A brick sponsored by F. Evans during building in 1873

Photo No. 11. A brick sponsored by F. Evans during building in 1873

The original chapel was built in 1834

Winterley appears on a circuit plan as early as 1920.

This small brick built chapel erected in 1834 was enlarged in 1873. A Sunday School was added in 1903 and this building sits at the side of the main chapel.

In 2016 the chapel is still open for worship. The community use the building as does the Winterley Brass Band. The band was founded in 1938 and has been involved with the chapel ever since. In 2016 it is one of only five Methodist Brass Bands in the country and they play an important part in the life of the present day church.

Photos 2-4 taken January 2014

Photos 6, 8-11 taken May 2016

OS Map Ref:118:SJ747574

 

additional information (CH 2017)

In the Primitive Methodist magazine, T Morgan describes the opening of what is called Wintaley Primitive Methodist chapel. It was opened with services on 22/06/1834 and 23/06/1834. 

Preachers on the Sunday were Sun Brothers James Bourne and Thomas Bateman and on the Monday Sister E Allen preached. The chapel was "well finished" and "a credit to the builders".  It had twelve elevated pews.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine 1835 page 29

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 03/07/2016.

If you're already a registered user of this site, please login using the form on the left-hand side of this page.