Evans, Ann (nee Jones) (1838-1905)
Transcription of Obituary in the Christian Messenger
Sister Evans (nee Jones), was born at Clungunford, Salop, in the old Bishop Castle Circuit, on July 10th, 1838. Her mother was for many years a member of the Primitive Methodist Church, and Mrs. Evans very early in life followed her mother’s example, and evinced a strong desire for religion. When only quite a girl, she gave her heart to God, and realised by faith in Jesus salvation from sin. She at once joined the Church of Christ, and throughout her whole life remained a devoted and upright member. When about fourteen years of age she left home and went to live in the market town of Ludlow, where she attached herself to the church in Old Street, and rendered good service in helping to keep together the young people with whom she was associated in Christian fellowship. In the year 1860 she married Benjamin Evans who had previously joined the church at Ludlow, and in all his labours she proved a true helpmeet. At Middleton, Ashford, and The Knowbury they were devoted helpers in every good work. Of what they possessed they gave liberally, and for many years their house was a home of rest and refreshment to itinerant and lay preacher alike. Sister Evans survived her husband twenty-one years. The latter days of her life were spent at Crewe, where she identified herself with the Henry Street Church in Crewe First Circuit, where her son and son-in-law hold official positions and are local preachers. She was quiet and unassuming, of the old Puritan school, being very zealous for the honour of God, and having a profound reverence for the sanctity of the Sabbath. Like all humanity she had her faults, but realised that the blood of Jesus Christ cleansed her form all sin. During the last few days of her life she suffered much, but bore it very patiently, and gave abundant evidences of the sustaining power of the Divine one. On the 11th of June, 1905, she passed to her reward, and it may be truly said, “her end was peace, she is not dead but rather is alive for evermore.” A memorial service was held in Henry Street Church on Sunday, June 25th, which it was the writer’s privilege to conduct. Earth is poorer, Heaven is richer.
“For all Thy saints who from their labours rest,
Who Thee by faith before the world confessed,
They name, O Jesus, be for ever blest,
Family and other information
Ann was baptised on 20 July 1838 at Clungunford. Her parents were William, an agricultural labourer, and Mary, a bonnet maker (1851).
Ann married Benjamin Evans (abt 1835-1884) on 20 May 1859 at Clungunford, Shropshire. Benjamin was a farm labourer. Census returns identify four children.
- Alice Mary (b abt1862)
- Eliza (b1863)
- Clara Ann (1865-1947) – married Matthew Latham, a boiler rivitter, in 1894
- Benjamin William (1869-1945) – a milk dealer and grocer shopkeeper (1911)
Christian Messenger 1906/191
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers