Endersby, Arthur William (1867-1903)

Transcription of Obituary In the Christian Messenger

The Primitive Methodist Church has lost a most loyal and active member in the death of MR. ARTHUR W. ENDERSBY, of Cambridge, who fell asleep on Friday, August 7th, 1903, at the early age of 35 years. Our brother who was born at Cambridge in December, 1867, was the son of a well-known and highly-esteemed family of loyal Primitive Methodists.

He was converted in the year 1883, and at once took a very deep interest in our society at Sturton Street (Cambridge II.) as a teacher, afterwards as School secretary. During the ministry of the late Rev. George Kemp, our brother had a strong wish to become a travelling preacher in our Church. He studied, and passed his examinations very successfully. But owing to throat trouble he had to abandon his desire. But as a local preacher he excelled, wherever he took services. He was always in demand again, and had great joy in leading penitents to Jesus.

He was married in the year 1889 to Miss L. Martin, a teacher and an earnest worker in our St. Peter Street School and Church. She proved a true helpmeet indeed, throwing her life into the work of the school, etc., with her husband.

He loved the house and service of God, and was noted for his regular and punctual attendance at the services. For some two or three years he left school work to some extent in order to take more appointments, as preaching was his joy and his delight.

But the teachers at our Sunday School, Sturton Street, gave a pressing invitation to our brother to become Superintendent. He consented only if the writer of this memoir would stand as Secretary. The school prospered, and, having outgrown its accommodation, on the first day of January, 1901, Mr. Endersby, on behalf of the teachers and scholars, past and present, laid a foundation stone of a new wing, giving accommodation to 60 more scholars at a cost of about £200, – and this amount is nearly raised.

Mr. Endersby, at the time of his decease, held, and honourably filled, several positions in our Church, namely, Superintendent of the School, President of the Young People’s Christian Endeavour, Conductor of the Band of Hope, a Trustee, Teacher of the Young Men‘s Bible Class, and a player in the Mission Band. His good judgment, sound common sense, and eminently Christian character were recognised wherever he went.

He was a life-long abstainer; the Band of Hope was his constant delight, and his place will be hard to fill.

He had his faults, as all men have, more or less, but it is the simple truth to say that he was beloved by all with whom he came in contact. His devotion to the cause of God, his bright testimony for Christ, his genuine wit, his cheerful smile made him respected and beloved. In the spring of 1902 from a blow received by a fall of a chair at his employment, there developed a virulent form of cancer. At Addersbrooks Hospital he underwent an operation which seemed for a time successful, as he returned to his employment, and also to Church duties. But at the close of the year, another growth of the complaint was appearing, and on December 27th, 1902, he had a second operation. In hope of a complete cure he visited our Home of Rest at Southend-on-Sea, – his friends and members of the Church helping to send him there.

But in a private letter to the writer, when there, he was afraid the trouble was returning, as the pains were again troublesome, and so it turned out to be. He returned home, and at the end of February, 1903, a week after this, he went for the third operation. Returning home, he never left his bed again, and during those long weary months till his decease, suffered most intense pain. During his suffering, when pain was easier, he told us he had no fear, his only grief was leaving his dear wife and only son, and the friends he loved, behind. But he left a blessed testimony behind, that he’d only gone a little while before, and should be waiting at the gates for our coming. It was a glorious victory at last.

The town of Cambridge, our Sturton Street Church in particular, are the poorer for his loss. His funeral on August 11th, 1903, was largely attended. By his request his body was taken into Sturton Street Church. Rev. Henry Bennett conducted the solemn service, the choir singing some of his beloved and suitable hymns. The organist played the “Dead March in Saul.” All the spheres of work he took interest in were represented, also members of his club, and the Sons of Temperance were present wearing their regalias, teachers, scholars, local preachers, and a host of worshippers of the Church followed. At the graveside, with tremulous voices was sung ” Rock of Ages.”

On Sunday evening Rev. Henry Bennett conducted a special memorial service at Sturton Street Church, it being packed to overflowing. His text “O, Death, where is thy Sting,” a most affecting and solemn service. Special hymns “When the Roll is called,” “Sleep on Beloved,” and “Peace, Perfect Peace,” were feelingly sung by the Choir, the organist playing the “Dead March.” Many prayers were offered to God for His comforting grace to the sorrowing relatives and friends.


Family and other information

Arthur was baptised on 26 January 1868 at the PM Chapel, Cambridge. His parents were David, a grocer, and Susannah.

Census returns identify the following occupations for Arthur.

  • 1891 grocer & butcher
  • 1901 upholster

Arthur married Louisa Martin (abt 1869-1953) in the summer of 1889 at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire. Census returns identified one child.

  • Arthur William (1890-1917) – a blacksmith’s labourer (1911); died in WW1


Christian Messenger 1904/318

Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published.