Joseph was born abt1844 at Wearhead, Co. Durham, to parents Thomas James, a lead miner, and Mary Fairless.
- 1861 no occupation
- 1871 PM minister
- 1881 domestic machinist at Westgate, Newcastle upon Tyne
- 1891 iron moulder at Elswick, Northumberland
- 1901 ironmonger and house furnisher at Elswick, Northumberland.
- 1911 ironmonger and house furnisher
He married Sarah Elizabeth Huntley (b abt1854) in the spring of 1883 at Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland. Census returns identify one child.
- Louis (1885-1963) – assisting ironmonger and house furnisher (1911); a private teacher (1939)
Joseph died in early 1917 at Elswick, Northumberland.
- 1870 Lincoln I
- 1871 Ilkeston
- 1872 Coningsby
- 1874 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers