George was born abt1835 at Langwith, Nottinghamshire, to parents John Johnson, who worked the land, and Maria Ward.
He married Fanny Charlesworth (b1835) in the summer of 1860 at Mansfield Independent Chapel, Nottinghamshire. Records identify nine children.
- John Charlesworth (1861-1934) – a general ironmonger (1901)
- George William (1863-1946) – a wheelwright (1901); emigrated to New Zealand
- Joseph Ward (b1864) – an accountant (1900); emigrated to USA in 1889
- Elizabeth Mary (b1865) – married Dawson Parsons, a Church of England minister to the navvies (1891), in 1891
- Fanny Georgina (abt1866-1962) – married Joseph Atkin, a cafe manager (1901), in 1899; died in New Zealand
- Jarvis Bunting (1867-1913) – a clergyman (1910); died in Denver, USA
- Anne Maria (b abt1873) – married James Bliss in 1912
- Alfred (b abt1874) – born in Ireland
- Robert (b abt1875) – a timber merchant (1901)
Birth records for his children suggest George spent time in Merthyr Tydfil, Cardiff and Ireland after leaving the PM ministry. The 1911 census records him as a widower living with his son John at Eckington, Derbyshire, with his occupation listed as retired timber merchant.
George died in the summer of 1917 in the Chesterfield Registration District, Derbyshire..
- 1856 Rugby
- 1857 Bagshot
- 1858 Plymouth
- 1859 Redruth
- 1861 Merthyr Tydfil
- 1862 Aberdare
- 1864 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers