William was born on 15 April 1837 at Leeds, Yorkshire, to parents John, a bricklayer (1837), and Mary. He was baptised on 23 July 1837 at St Peter, Leeds.
He married Martha Smith (abt1838-1908) on 3 May 1864 at Montgomery, Montgomeryshire. Census returns identify five children.
- Mary Eleanor Smith (b1865) – married William H Ditson, a wool broker (1900) in 1899 at Rhode Island, USA
- Lilly Gertrude (b abt1868) – a governess (1891); travelled to USA in 1891
- Florence (1870-1957) – died in USA
- Daisy Constance (1874-1945) – married William Otis Kingman, a bank teller (1910) in 1898
- William Henry (b1875)
William died on 1 March 1904 at Seven Kings, nr Ilford, Essex.
- 1859 Dover & Deal
- 1860 disappears
- Cavendish College, Manchester
- 1863 Paton Congregational College, Nottingham
- 1864 Ilkeston – Congregational minister
- 1867 Oldbury
- 1872 Bristol, Castle Green
- 1878 Irish Evengelical Society
- 1883 New Barnet
- 1886 Mossley
- 1892 Fall River, Massachusetts
- 1898 Bexley
- 1901-2 New Eltham, Kent
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id:16040
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers