John was born on 2 March 1848 at Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire, to parents James, an engineer, and Mary. He was baptised on 23 April 1848 at Christ Church, Sowerby Bridge.
He married Mary Jane Causer (1854-1924). She was the daughter of Rev. Joseph Causer Census returns identify four children.
- Roderic James (1880-1950) – a school teacher (1901); a Moravian Missionary to Jamaica (1929)
- Rachel Mary (1882-1968) – a school teacher (1901); a research worker in Anthropology and authoress (1939)
- Arnold Leng (1883-1968) – a general engraver (1901); emigrated to USA via Canada in 1909; an auto mechanic (1930)
- John (b1893) – an office clerk (1911)
John died on 6 December 1927 at Dudley Road Hospital, Birmingham, Warwickshire.
- 1868 Stroud
- 1869 Swansea
- 1871 Bath
- 1872 disappears
- Spring Hill College, Birmingham
- 1878-1891 Ilkeston – Congregational Minister
- Later a minister in Aston, Warwickshire (1901).
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id 9211
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers