A transcription of the obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by Samuel Wilshaw is attached. Wilshaw describes his ministry in the following quotation.
“His ministry was like the rude blow of the sledge-hammer, or the plunge of the rolling wave among the rude reef-rocks: it was an unpolished ministry of untrammelled spiritual power. It is undeniable that sanctified rusticity has often accomplished prodigies in the great work of soul-saving.”
Thomas was born in 1796 at Alrewas, Staffordshire, to parents James and Sarah. He was baptised on 30 October 1796 at All Saints, Alrewas.
He married Susannah Thompson (1799-1881) on 6 November 1825 at Sinnington, New Malton, Yorkshire. Census returns identify eight children.
- Thompson (1829-1919) – emigrated to USA in 1861; a moulder (1880)
- Sarah Ann (1833-1911) – married George Beale, a PM minister in 1851
- John (b abt1835)
- Mary (1837-1863) – married William Fulbrook, a police constable (1861), in 1857
- Martha (b abt1840) – a house servant (1861)
- Susannah (b1842)
- Selina (b1844) – a dressmaker (1861)
- Jabez Frederick (1848-1922) – a PM minister and later a coal merchant
Thomas died on 21 August 1850 at Newbury, Berkshire.
- 1822 Grimsby
- 1824 Brigg
- 1825 Malton
- 1826 Hull
- 1828 Winlaton
- 1829 S Shields
- 1830 Redruth
- 1833 St Austell
- 1837 Blaenavon
- 1840 Frome
- 1841 Shefford
- 1846 Newbury
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1851/6
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers