Transcription of obituary published in the Minutes of Conference
CHARLES DUNHAM: born at Barton-le-Cley in 1848. He entered the Primitive Methodist Ministry in 1876. His work often lay in wide country circuits. His great joy was in preaching the Gospel, and in his early days he sang it too. He made a special study of John Bunyan, and was very happy when lecturing or talking of his hero.
In 1911 he came to Stroud, and three years later became a Supernumerary, but continued to preach up till within a month of his death. On December 23, 1942, in the ninety-fifth year of his life and the sixty-seventh of his ministry, he left his sword to him who should succeed him and, carrying his marks and scars with him, went to Him who is now his Rewarder.
Charles was born in 1848 at Barton in the Clay, Bedfordshire, to parents George, a shoemaker, and Mary. He was baptised on 10 March 1849 at the Wesleyan Chapel, Luton, Bedfordshire.
Charles also worked as a bootmaker before entering the ministry.
He married Lucy Jane Pedder (1860-1847) in the spring of 1881 at Reigate, Surrey. Census returns identify seven children.
- Ernest Pedder (1882-1974) – an estate clerk (1911); an estate agent (1939)
- Emmiline Mary (1884-1961) – a counter clerk and telegraphist (1911)
- Harold Charles (1886-1988) – died at Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Oscar William (1888-1980) – a private secretary (1911); a commission agent (1929); died in Vancouver, Canada
- Kathleen Hilda (1891-1979) – married Sampson E Allsop, a shop manager for pharmaceutical chemist (1939), in 1925
- Eleanor Annie (1897-1983) – a school teacher (1939)
- Nesta Lucie (1899-1973) – married Donald P Davies in 1926
Charles died on 23 December 1942 at Stroud, Gloucestershire.
- 1876 Bedford
- 1877 Maidenhead
- 1878 Weymouth
- 1880 Newport, IoW
- 1881 Woolwich
- 1883 Plumstead
- 1884 Bedford
- 1888 St Neots
- 1891 Berkhamstead
- 1893 Bradfield
- 1897 Wymondham
- 1901 Hitchin
- 1904 Chalfont St Giles
- 1906 Weobly
- 1911 Stroud
- 1914 Stroud (Sup)
Methodist Minutes 1943/125
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers