John was born on 13 May 1837 at Loddon, Norfolk, to parents Frederick, a farmer, and Mary. He was baptised on 5 June 1837 at Loddon.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1851 schoolboy
- 1861 assistant draper
- 1871 Baptist minister at Tunstall, Suffolk
- 1881 Baptist minister at Willingham, Cambridgeshire
- 1891 Baptist minister at Somersham, Huntingdonshire
- 1901 Baptist minister at Earth St James, Huntingdonshire
- 1911 retired Baptist minister
He married Martha Tubby (1840-1869) in early 1864 at Norwich, Norfolk. Census returns and birth records identify four children.
- Ellen (b abt1864) – only identified in 1871 census return
- Edith Maria (1865-1940) – a shop maid for baker (1881); married Charles John Tubby, a police constable (1901), in 1895
- Henrietta Louisa (1867-1868)
- Frederick John (1868-1940) – a printer (1901)
He married Ellen Bennett (1836-1916) in late 1869 at Tunstall, Suffolk. Census returns identify one child.
- Annie Louisa (b1871) – a mother’s help (1891)
John died in late 1916 in the Bourne Registration District, Lincolnshire.
- 1863 Colchester
- 1864 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers