Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire' page
Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire' page

There are two chapels here. Little is known about either.

The first chapel was built in 1860. The plaque reads 'Prepare to meet thy God'. In 2015 this chapel is a house.

On the opposite side of the road stands a brick built chapel more recently used. Date of erection not known. Is it also a Primitive chapel?  In 2015 there is little indication that it is still open for worship but Roby Mill Pre-School Playgroup are using the building.

Photos taken June 2015

OS Map Ref:108:SD518071

 

added information CH Feb 2018

Ambrose Kirkland tells us in the Primitive Methodist magazine that the 1860 chapel was opened from July 22nd 1860. He describes it as stone built with a rock faced front; it measured 31.5' x 24', seated 150, cost £160 of which £100 had been raised and was on land with a 999 year lease at £3 per year.

Speakers at the opening included  R. B.Howcroft, of Wigan, Thomas Jobling (Manchester) and the writer, Ambrose Kirkland of Chorley.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 page 618-619

 

This page was added by Elaine and Richard Pearce on 04/07/2015.
Comments about this page

We now know a little more from an account of the opening of the 1860 chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine

By Christopher Hill
On 07/02/2018