Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire

There are two chapels here. Little is known about either.

Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire
Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire
Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire
Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire
Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire
Roby Mill Primitive Methodist Chapel, Up Holland Lancashire

The first chapel was built in 1860. The plaque reads ‘Prepare to meet thy God’. In 2015 this chapel is a house.

On the opposite side of the road stands a brick built chapel more recently used. Date of erection not known. Is it also a Primitive chapel?  In 2015 there is little indication that it is still open for worship but Roby Mill Pre-School Playgroup are using the building.

Photos taken June 2015

OS Map Ref:108:SD518071

 

added information CH Feb 2018

Ambrose Kirkland tells us in the Primitive Methodist magazine that the 1860 chapel was opened from July 22nd 1860. He describes it as stone built with a rock faced front; it measured 31.5′ x 24′, seated 150, cost £160 of which £100 had been raised and was on land with a 999 year lease at £3 per year.

Speakers at the opening included  R. B.Howcroft, of Wigan, Thomas Jobling (Manchester) and the writer, Ambrose Kirkland of Chorley.


Reference

Primitive Methodist magazine October 1860 page 618-619

 

Comments about this page

  • We now know a little more from an account of the opening of the 1860 chapel in the Primitive Methodist magazine

    By Christopher Hill (07/02/2018)

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Share this
Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Google+Email this to someone