Transcription of report published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine.
We were sorry to see announced a short time ago that the Rev. S. Lloyd, of Halifax, had resigned his position in our ministry, to undertake political and literary work. He does not sever himself from the Connexion and will be able to take occasional services in our pulpits, but we cannot help feeling that in leaving the ministry for a political agency he has sacrificed the greater to the less.
He might have very considerably aided all good work, political and otherwise, and still devoted himself to the higher work to which he had been called. Surely the ministry of the Christian church is sufficiently inclusive to satisfy the reasonable desires of any man to serve his day and generation. We hope, however, he may find in his new circumstances a sphere of great usefulness, and be able to give a higher tone to political labour and controversy.
Samuel was born in 1853 at Newport, Monmouthshire, to parents Samuel, a grocer & baker, and Eliza.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Samuel.
- 1871 grocer’s assistant
- 1881 Wesleyan minister
- 1891 retired PM minister
- 1901 political agent
He married Mildred Maud Jones (1859-1918) on 24 February 1880 at Steynton, Pembrokeshire. Census returns identify six children.
- Gladys Maud (1881-1951) – a governess (1911); emigrated to Australia
- George William Merlin (1882-1960) – apprentice cabinet maker (1901); a costing accountant (1939)
- Grace Eliza Annie (b1884) – a dental nurse (1911); married Bernhardt V Geissler in 1923 in new South Wales
- Decima Muriel (1887-1947) – a nurse (1933); died in Victoria, Australia
- Madge (b1889) – a hospital nurse (1911)
- Margaret Nora (1890-1970) – a school teacher (1911); emigrated to Australia
Samuel died on 26 December 1902 at Gateshead, Co. Durham
- 1873 Barnsley
- 1876 Leeds IV
- 1881 Skipton
- 1884 Bradford II
- 1889 Halifax II
- 1890 disappears
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1890/58
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers