Robinson, James (1824-1886)
James was born in 1824 at East Ferry, nr Scotter, Lincolnshire. He was converted aged about 22, joined the Primitive Methodists and became a very diligent student of the bible. He went on the plan a year after his conversion and soon became ‘very useful and acceptable’.
The effectiveness of his ministry was affected by his health, which broke down whilst at Shipley and again at Clayton West.
James married Susanna Davies (1832-1909), the daughter of Richard Davies in the summer of 1855 at York, Yorkshire. Census returns identify seven children.
- Hester Ann (1856-1933) – married Haley Appleyard, a stone mason and builder
- Richard Davies (1857-1934) -a railway goods clerk
- James Wressel (1859-1906) – a printer
- George Goodwin (1862-1926) – a schoolmaster
- Ebenezer (1867-1882)
- Caroline (b1870) – a head teacher in 1911
- Annie Marie (b1872) – married John Frederick Clark
James died on 20 May 1886 at Pickering, Yorkshire.
- 1851 Leeds North
- 1852 Otley
- 1853 Pateley Bridge
- 1855 Pontefract
- 1856 Bradford
- 1858 York
- 1860 Knaresborough
- 1863 Clayton West
- 1866 Shipley
- 1868 Helmsley
- 1872 Huddersfield
- 1874 Barnsley
- 1877 Clayton West
- 1879 Rosedale
- 1880 Chesterfirld
- 1881 Pickering (S)
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1879 (portrait); 1886/567
PM Minutes 1886/19
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers