Richard was born in 1929 at Tydwardreath, nr. St Blazey, Cornwall, to parents William, a schoolmaster (1841), and Mary Ann. He was baptised on 4 July 1839 at St. Blazey.
Before entering the ministry Richard worked the land.
After leaving the ministry Richard became a home heating appliance manufacturer at Shipley, Yorkshire.
He married Ann(ie) Spring (1844-1901) in the summer of 1869 in the Hemsworth Registration District, Yorkshire. Census returns and birth records identify eight children.
- William Charles (1870-1905) – a heating engineer (1891)
- Mary Jane (1872-1901)
- John Henry (1873-1948) – a plumber (1901)
- Annie Spink (1875-1898) – a pupil teacher (1891)
- Eleanor (1877-1956) – assistant teacher (1911)
- Elizabeth (1879-1922)
- Richard Wellington (1883-1884)
- Louisa Grace (1885-1905)
Richard died on 25 October 1921 at idle, Yorkshire.
- 1865 Middleham
- 1866 Wakefield
- 1867 Pontefract
- 1868 Dewsbury
- 1869 Shipley
- 1871 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers