Griffiths, John (1832-1911)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by W.A. Nicholls
Mr. John Griffiths, of Essington, passed peacefully from earth to heaven, December 26th, 1911, in his eightieth year, and by his death the society has lost its oldest member. Born at Worcester, he was left when quite a child without parents, and was brought into the Darlaston Circuit. At the age of seven he was bound apprentice to the coal-mining, under which he laboured for sixty-five years. In his fifteenth year, when all alone in the coal mine, God Almighty spoke peace to his soul, and from that day he was one of the most loyal workers Primitive Methodism has ever known.
For over sixty years he was at home in the Sunday School. A lay preacher for over sixty years, he was always welcomed in the pulpits of his own and other churches. A great soul-winner, he excelled as a sick visitor and class leader. He served as delegate to the Ludlow District Meeting and to the Chester Conference.
As usual he went round his family on Christmas Day, and on December 26th the angel of death touched him, and took him to the reward of his labours. On December 30th his remains were carried into our church, when a short service was held conducted by the Revs. F.H. Brown and B.B. Farlow. On January 14th, when he was planned to preach at our church, Mr. James Beddows, of Bloxwich, preached his memorial service. Our prayers are for those who are left to mourn his loss.
John was born abt1832 at Bromsgrove, Worcestershire. His father was named William, a farmer.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John.
- 1861 coal miner & Local methodist preacher
- 1871 coal miner
- 1881 coal miner
- 1891 coal miner
- 1901 coal miner
- 1911 retired coal miner hewer
He married Jane Martin (1835-1903) on 11 September 1853 at All Saints Moxley, Staffordshire. Census returns identify nine children.
- John (1856-1944) – a coal miner (1901)
- Hannah (1857-1929) – married John Onions, a coal miner, in 1887
- Charles (1859-1931) – a coal miner (1881)
- George Daniel (abt1862-1943) – a coal miner (1891)
- Abraham (1864-1934) – a coal miner (1901)
- Martha (1866-1940) – married Alfred George Smith, a colliery labourer (1911), on 28 December 1896
- Eliza (1868-1950) – married James Fletcher, a coal miner (1891), in 1890
- Rachel Jane (1871-1950) – married Joseph Nicholls, a coal miner, in 1893
- Joseph (1874-1891) – a coal miner 1891
John died on 26 December 1911 at Essington, Staffordshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1912/662
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Census returns record John being born at Bromsgrove, not Worcester.