Groom, James (1829-1915)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by H.R.D.
Mr. J. Groom was born at Rockland eighty-four years ago, and from his earliest childhood was identified with our Church. Converted in his youth, he became a member and also a Sunday school teacher. On coming to Shipdham in the East Dereham Circuit sixty-six years ago, he became an active worker in the cause there, and taught in the Sunday school for nearly sixty years. He received the Connexional diploma for fifty years’ Sunday school service in December, 1908.
All his six children are useful workers in the Church. He was of a very cheerful disposition, and though he suffered very much in the later years of his life, yet was ever hopeful and full of faith in Christ. He passed to his eternal reward on April 1st, 1915, the interment taking place on Easter Monday amid many signs of respect and sympathy. His passing is a great loss to the Shipdham Society.
James was born in 1829 at Rockland, Norfolk, to parents William Groom, who worked the land (1841), and Elizabeth Symonds. He was baptised on 30 November 1829 at Rockland St. Peter.
Census returns identify the following occupations for James.
- 1851 warehouseman
- 1861 shopkeeper
- 1871 grocer
- 1881 grocer & draper employing 4 hands
- 1891 grocer & draper
- 1901 grocer & draper
- 1911 retired grocer
He married Anne Esther Curson (abt1832-1924) on 21 March 1856 at St Andrews, Norwich, Norfolk. Census returns identify seven of nine children.
- Lewis William (1857-1944) – a draper (1881)
- Alice (1859-1934) – a draper’s assistant (1881); married Horace Arthur Smith, a farmer & collector of taxes and rates (1911), in 1896
- Ellen Anna (1861-1918) – married George Cushing, an undertaker (1911), in 1885
- Kate (1865-1959) – married Isaac Fisher, a cattle dealer (1911), in 1891
- Florence Beatrice (1869-1871)
- Ruth Rosalind Flowers (1871-1954) – a draper (1901); married George Cushing in 1920; married Albert L Wright, a retired draper (1939), in 1935
- Ernest James Herbert (1875-1943) – a general shopkeeper (1911)
James died on 1 April 1915 at Shipdham, Norfolk.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1915/666
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers