Henry was born on 26 March 1813 at Truro, Cornwall, to parents John, a seaman, and Ann. He was baptised on 28 October 1820 at St Mary Wesleyan Chapel, Truro, Cornwall.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Henry.
- 1841 bookseller in Exeter
- 1861 dissenting minister to seamen
- 1871 missionary
Based on the birth places of his children Henry moved to Mile End Old Town, London in the early 1840’s where he was involved with a seaman’s mission.
He married Mary Hewett (b1813) on 5 October at Kea, Cornwall. Census returns identify four children.
- Mary (b1840) – a milliner (1861); married John Middleton Owens, a cabinet maker, in 1865
- Anna Maria(1844-1906) – a dressmaker (1861)
- Edward (1846-1907) – a printer (1881)
- Charlotte (b abt1849)
- 1840 Motcombe
- 1841 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers