George was born on 15 August 1861 at Drighlington, Yorkshire, to parents Luke Townsend, a tailor & draper, and Elizabeth Holdsworth.
Census returns identify the following occupations for George.
- 1881 insurance agent
- 1901 Congregational minister
- 1911 registration and election agent
- 1939 retired secretary
Married Clara Liley (1862-1944) in early 1889 at Drighlington, Yorkshire. Census returns identify two children.
- Dorothea Agataha (1893-1918)
- Margery Ellen (b1896) – married Charles Noel Carter, a medical practitioner, in 1938
Died on 4 September 1950 at Penkhull, Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire
- 1883 Halifax I
- 1884 Burnley
- 1886 disappears
- 1894-1902 Stoke on Trent – Congregational minister
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Surman Index id: 27743
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers