John was born abt1840 at Stony Stratford, Buckinghamshire, to parents George Markham, a journeyman cordwainer (1851), and Mary Elizabeth Woodward.
Census returns identify the following occupations for John
- 1861 PM minister
- 1871 Baptist minister
- 1881 Baptist minister
- 1891 late Baptist minister
- 1901 living on own means
He married Hannah Eliza Hawley (1843-1930) in the spring of 1871 at Lambeth, Surrey. Census returns identify six children.
- John Hawley (b1872) – a Baptist minister (1901); emigrated to Canada
- William George (1874-1948) – an upholsterer’s foreman (1901); manager of upholstery business (1911); emigrated to New Zealand
- Mary Hannah (1877-1948) – school mistress (1901); assistant nurse (1939)
- Lilian Alice (1879-1909) – a companion (1901)
- Frank Arthur (1881-1968) – a wood carver (1911)
- Gertrude Ethel (b1884)
John died in the spring of 1904 at Clifton, Bedfordshire.
- 1860 Liskeard
- 1861 Teignmouth
- 1862 S Molton
- 1864 Pembroke Dock
- 1865 disappears
W Leary, Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits, 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers