Phillipson, John (1859-1949)
Transcription of Magazine ‘Sketch’
The honours and responsibilities of the Chancellorship of the Swinefleet Circuit have only recently devolved upon the shoulders of Mr. Phillipson. But all his life of fifty-one years he has been a devoted primitive Methodist. He takes an active interest in Circuit affairs, being seldom absent from the Quarterly Meeting. He is Steward and Leader of our Whitgift Church. He wields a subtle, but unobtrusive influence over the young people, most of whom are members of the Church, as are the members of his own family. He is an ardent Endeavourer. He is also a capital organiser, and always has some scheme in hand for the development of Church work. Mr. Phillipson also takes great interest in Connexional matters. He is a generous contributor to the Centenary Thanksgiving Fund. He is a Minister’s true colleague and helper, and a faithful Steward.
Family and other information
John was born abt 1859 at Keadby, Lincolnshire, to parents George and Mary Ann. George worked the land. John was baptised on 13 March 1859 at Epworth, Lincolnshire.
Census returns give the following occupations for John.
- 1881 gardener
- 1891 gardener
- 1901 farmer and gardener
- 1911 farmer
John married Hannah Carr Wressell (1859-1886) on 12 May 1879 at Whitgift, Yorkshire. Census returns identify two children.
- George Richard (b abt1880) – a labourer in the college of horse (1911)
- Tom Wressell (b abt1882) – a railway signalman (1911)
John married Louisa Cavill (1860-1954) in the summer of 1887 in the Goole Registration District, Yorkshire. Census returns identify eight of nine children.
- May Louisa (b1888) – dairy work (1911)
- Emily Annie (1890-1980) – a business assistant (1911); married Ernest A Markham in 1920
- John Francis (b abt1892) – a farmworker (1911)
- Lillian (1895-1972) – married Herbert William Ella in 1920
- Eleanor (1896-1983) – married George Thompson in 1924
- William Henry (1901-1988)
- Ida Florence (1903-1978) – married Arthur W Phillipson in 1931
- Harold (1905-1978)
John died on 7 May 1949 at Whitgift, Yorkshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1911/448
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers