Cooper, Edwin (1832-1912)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by J.D.
Edwin Cooper was born 8th June, 1832, and all his life has been associated with the Stalybridge Primitive Methodist Sunday School and Church. Upon seventy-six annual demonstrations he walked with the teachers and scholars in their Whit-Friday procession. In early life he consecrated himself to God. In the Sunday School he has acted at different periods as teacher, secretary, treasurer and superintendent. In the church he was choirmaster and one of the most loyal trustees. The Circuit felt itself honoured in retaining him as steward for many years. His long and useful service gained the attention of other churches and Sunday School Unions.
The interment took place on July 20th in St. Paul’s churchyard, Stalybridge.
Edwin was born on 8 June 1832 at Derby, Derbyshire, to parents Samuel, a labourer, and Sarah.
Census returns identify the following occupations for Edwin.
- 1851 factory worker
- 1861 self acting cotton minder
- 1871 cotton spinner
- 1881 cotton spinner’s overlooker
- 1891 grocer
- 1901 grocer
- 1911 shopkeeper – grocers
He married Mary Ainley (1833-1880) on 15 April 1855 at Katherine Street PM Chapel, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire. Census returns identify four children.
- Elizabeth Ann (1859-1891) – packer at cotton mill (1881); married Charles Benjamin Lockwood, a clerk, in 1884
- Robert James (1861-1934) – foundry clerk to stone grate manufacturer (1911)
- Sarah Jane (b1863) – cotton weaver (1881)
- Mary Hannah (1869-1932) – married David John Jones, a grocer, baker & general dealer (1911), in 1908
He married Elizabeth Ainley (1839-1913) on 23 July 1883 at Katherine Street PM Chapel, Ashton under Lyne, Lancashire
Edwin died on 18 July 1912 at Stalybridge, Cheshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1912/833
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers