Smith, Mary Ann (nee Pigg) (1849-1914)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine by J.R.
Mrs. Smith was born at Dene Row, near Haydon Bridge, October 2nd, 1850. When, thirty-one years ago, her husband was appointed head forester by the Greenwich Hospital authorities upon their Scremerston Estate, she threw her heart and soul into the service of our little church. She initiated many schemes for the well-being of the society. Her bright, genial nature won the co-operation of others, and her optimism caused difficulties to vanish. She held the ministry of the Church in high esteem, and many shared in the generous hospitality of her home.
Her hold upon the unseen and eternal was strong, and when, after weeks of suffering, the call came on Friday, Jan. 30th, she but “fell asleep in Jesus.” Her mortal remains were laid to rest in Scremerston Churchyard on Feb. 3rd, the services being conducted by Revs. J.A. Sheen, R. Goodwin, and J. Ramsay.
Mary was born on 2 October 1849 at Dene Row, nr. Haydon Bridge, Northumberland, to parents John Pigg, a farmer of 100 acres (1851), and Ann Telford. She was baptised on 24 March 1850 at Haydon Bridge.
She married David Smith (1848-1933), a forester & woodman (1901), in early 1868 in the Hexham Registration District, Northumberland. Census returns identify ten children.
- John George (b1869)
- Robert (b1871) – an estate agent’s clerk (1901); estate agent (1911)
- Annie (b1872)
- Elizabeth (b abt1874) – mother’s help (1891)
- Polly (1876-1932) – mother’s help (1891); married Thomas Gibson Purvis, a coal miner, in 1908
- Harry (b1880) – a woodman (1901); forester (1911)
- Thomas Albert (1882-1935) – emigrated to USA via Canada
- Frederick (b1884) – a bricklayer’s apprentice (1901); colliery blacksmith (1911); emigrated to USA circa 1920
- David Arthur (b1891) – woodman (1911)
- Isabella (b1894)
Mary died on 30 January 1914 at Scremerston, Northumberland.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1914/330
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers
Note: Mary’s birth records gives her year of birth as 1849, not 1850 as stated in the obituary.