Shepherd, William (1849-1913)
Transcription of obituary published in the Primitive Methodist Magazine
After a few weeks’ illness Mr. Wm. Shepherd, of Rock society, Dawley and Madeley Circuit, passed to his reward on November 12th, 1913, at the age of sixty-four. For forty years he was a local preacher of more than ordinary ability. A deep student, the truth he spoke he made his own. He was a loyal servant of Jesus Christ and of the Primitive Methodist Church. Throughout his life our friend was a liberal supporter of God’s cause.
The funeral took place on November 15th. An impressive service was conducted in the Rock Church by Rev. J.H. Geeson, who also conducted the service at the graveside.
William was born on 4 August 1849 at Rock, Wellington, Shropshire, to parents George Shepherd, a coal miner (1851), and Rebecca Evans. He was baptised on 6 September 1849 at Wellington Wesleyan Chapel.
Census returns identify the following occupations for William.
- 1871 coal miner
- 1881 engineman
- 1891 engine driver
- 1901 colliery engine driver
- 1911 colliery labourer – above ground
He married Martha Maria Plant (1850-1905) on 14 August 1871 at All Saints, Wellington, Shropshire. Census returns identify ten children.
- Urias (1872-1946) – a turner in electrical engineering (1901)
- Ellen (1873-1950) – married Isaiah Jackson, a miner (1911), in 1909
- George (1874-1935) – a house painter (1901)
- Lilian (1876-1932) – housekeeper (1911)
- James (1878-1956) – a blast furnace labourer (1911)
- Martha Miriam (1880-1955) – married George Franks, inspector of engineering work (1921), in 1917
- William (1881-1931) – an assistant engineer (1911)
- Louisa (b1883)
- Alice (1888-1922) – a domestic servant (1911)
- Florence May (b1896)
William died on 12 November 1913 at Rock, Wellington, Shropshire.
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1914/157
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers