Holroyd, John (1818-1881)
John was born in 1818 at Norland, nr Sowerby Bridge, Yorkshire. His parents were Primitive Methodists. John was converted under the ministry of John Bywater. He spent about six months as an exhorter and was then recommended by William Sanderson for the ministry.
John’s obituary records that he had not the strongest body, but God gave him a sound constitution, a good ringing voice and a genial disposition.
John married Mary Brockman Miller (1819-1885) in 1847 at Kensington, London. Census returns identify six children.
- Edwin Miller (1848-69)
- Ellen Jane (1851-1924) – married Walter Hawkesley, an estate agent
- Mary Ann (b1853) – married Nicholas Collinford Fallaise from Jersey
- Sarah Jemima (1855-1913) – married William Andrew Boothby, a docks labourer
- Harriet Martha (1859-1933) – married John Charles Sass, a grocer
- Elivina Louisa (1862-1884) – married Thomas Beckworth H Wilson in 1883
John died on 30 Aug 1881 at Filey, Yorkshire.
- 1842 Barton on Humber
- 1843 Bedford
- 1844 London
- 1848 Northampton
- 1849 Guernsey
- 1851 Jersey
- 1853 Brighton
- 1855 Isle of Wight
- 1858 Weymouth
- 1861 Plymouth
- 1865 Portsmouth
- 1868 Gravesend
- 1871 Jersey
- 1872 Hull ll
- 1876 Swinefleet
- 1879 Filey
Primitive Methodist Magazine 1870 (portrait); 1882/243
PM Minutes 1882/7
H B Kendall, Origin and History of the PM Church, vol 1, p402
W Leary,Directory of Primitive Methodist Ministers and their Circuits , 1990
Census Returns and Births, Marriages & Deaths Registers